toomanywhatifs

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Don't Get Me Wrong...

Don’t get me wrong. I’ve used the medical profession in the past. Medical assistance was used in the delivery of both my babies. There have been (uncommonly few) trips to the doctor for pneumonia, bronchitis, etc. My man had his appendix out. I had my adenoids out as a child. I’ve been to a chiropractor. My dad had angioplasty a few years ago. My niece had a tumor removed. I have countless friends who’ve had surgeries, and/or who rely on meds for their daily health.

Whatif…none of these people had used the medical profession? Would they be here today? Would they be alive? Would they be in pain? Would they be strong? I don’t know about you, but these questions have the potential to stab fear into the very core of my being. But, then I ask myself… why the fear? I don’t like the answer. It’s because I fear that if I throw myself wholly (with a stubborn refusal to use plan B,) onto the will of God, that he will have me writhing in pain, or weak, or dying, all the while looking the fool for trusting in an unseen God when there were other, albeit less desirable, options. It's ugly, but it's honest.

I read something interesting a few months back that went something like this; that fear and faith are two sides of the same coin, that fear is the constant expectation of something bad and faith is the constant expectation of something good.

Why is it that we fear to throw ourselves fully (with no plan B) on the will of God? Is it because we expect something bad? We expect him to 'allow' something bad? We expect a good God to give us something bad, or, at least, to not deliver us from something bad. We expect him NOT to deliver us so we need a plan B. We need the help of man. Is this true? Ask yourself why this subject gives you fear. Really ask yourself. For me the answer is obvious. It’s because I don’t trust him. I don’t trust HIM, his name, his heart, his nature, his character, his will, his intentions toward me, his promises, his suffering, his finished work, his WORD.

Have you ever done a search on how many times in the Bible God says "Fear not"? Lots and lots and lots of times. Why do you think? Because fear is the opposite of faith. Because fear is an attack on God’s character. It’s a slap in the face. It’s a bold statement that God is NOT big enough for this problem and we must enlist the help of man. Or, could it be that I believe God’s intentions toward me are cruel and difficult, and man is more merciful than God. (Man would ‘never’ allow you to suffer if there was anything he could do about it…) Is this not also an affront to his character?

At this point in the discussion some will no doubt quote the ‘thorn in the side’ precedent and say "My grace is sufficient for you." (Along with many other arguments I've heard and wrestled with) Do you know anyone who quotes the verse "My grace is sufficient for you" with regard to a health issue that doesn’t ALSO take pills, or see the doctor, or have a surgery…? Are they truly throwing themselves on God alone, on grace alone?? Is God’s grace really sufficient? Or are we also enlisting the help of man?

These are hard questions. They work at the core of our beliefs about the character and nature of our God. They expose our unbelief, at least they sure expose mine. They have me falling on my knees appalled that I could think so little of such an awesome God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home