toomanywhatifs

Thursday, May 11, 2006

what's the big deal??


Why do we go to such great lengths to teach people that they are FREE from sin? That they are no longer bound, tied up, or being controlled by sin? That they have the power to change, to take control, to be the person they wish they were? What’s the big deal??

Why do we care about sin?? I’ve been thinking about this. I keep hearing that we are saved by grace. That Jesus died for our sins, for my sins. He forgave my sin. Not just some, but all my sin; past, present, and future. It’s handled, it’s taken care of. No condemnation. Eternal security in heaven. Once I’ve accepted Christ as my Savior, even my future sins won’t keep me out of heaven. So what’s the big deal…? Why do we care? It’s irrelevant now, is it not?? Sin as much as you want, it doesn’t matter, …does it??

If I’d leave the question at that and post it, I’d have lots of people thinking lots of different things (provided “lots” of people are even reading this thing). Some would be appalled by the question. Some would go “Yeah, what IS the big deal??” Some would ask the question of themselves for the very first time.

Most likely, the people in the crowd I hang out with would say something along this line… “It’s not so much that we care about sin, as that we care about people. We care about sin because it hurts people. It hurts us, it hurts others. It’s not that it’s an eternal problem, ‘cause the eternal has been taken care of. It’s not a guilt thing, ‘cause the guilt has been taken care of. The penalty’s been paid. But the pain caused in the here and now is the thing that we care about.” At least that’s why I care if I really think about it. I, for one, am very seldom a hundred percent consistent on what I think about anything. Often, the issue gets confused by my lack of clear understanding. Sometimes I’m not sure that the penalty really has been paid (although lately, I’m pretty convinced that it has been). Sometimes I’m more worried about my reputation, than your pain. Sometimes I fall into a rut of legalistic thinking. Sometimes I deny that I’m really hurting anybody. Sometimes I think about representing Christ, about being an ambassador and other noble things, but sometimes, I care because I know that sin hurts us. It traps us, it starts to control us, it changes our life.

Sometimes I believe this, …so…, I want to learn about freedom, I want to learn about victory, about righteousness in Christ. I want to learn about the power to change. Once I learn it, I want to teach others, so that they can be free and live the life we were meant to live, the life of Christ. The amazing, powerful, loving, joyful, forgiving, generous, honest, peaceful, holy, life of Christ.

So here’s where it gets interesting. I’ve said before that much of my thinking of late relates to the whole concept of physical healing.

There are people who don’t think that physical healing is very important, at least not spiritually important. After all, when they get to heaven they will have a perfect body. The Bible says so. The thinking seems to be that the here and now is irrelevant, we’ll put up with it, so long as the eternal is taken care of, we can wait. Much like the statement in the second paragraph…as long as the eternal has been handled, who cares about the here and now?? God cares. I care. The here and now is extremely relevant to God…the freedom from sin, the freedom from guilt, the freedom to live well. If the here and now is irrelevant then lets “eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.” Jesus died for the “here and now” as well as the “sweet by and by” and part of what he “Finished” on the cross was physical healing.

It is true of sickness and disease that in the end, in heaven, my body will be perfect. Just like my sins are all forgiven…my body will be perfectly healed, up in heaven. But what about the here and now? We say the “big deal” about sin is the pain it causes here and now…that’s the deal. My question is, does sickness, does disease cause pain in the here and now?? Of course it does. It causes pain to me, to those who love me, to those who depend on me…often to the community as a whole. Sickness doesn’t just hurt me, it hurts those around me. Even a “small” affliction can often affect a large number of people. Often it’s not just a “small” affliction, but a major, life changing, emotional roller-coaster bringing, night-mare type affliction that causes all kinds of pain. . Knowing, that in the end, in heaven, my body will be perfect is small comfort for the pain and suffering in the here and now.

But we don’t seem to care about this. We just accept it. “It’s part of life” we say. We don’t think it’s a “big deal” in our Christian life, not that it’s not a “big deal” emotionally or physically – it is, but spiritually it’s just one of those things we have to “deal with”. There’s nothing we can DO about it anyway. Just try to keep a positive attitude. It’s not something we try to learn about spiritually. In the matters of physical health, the vast majority of us (Christians) are no different than the rest of the world. Take the pills, go to the doctor, change the diet, read a self help book, try to get by. “Pie in the sky by and by” has to be good enough for us in matters of physical health because we don’t deeply believe there is “steak on my plate while I wait” in matters of physical healing. Oh sure, we’ll throw a prayer God’s way when something comes up, but it’s usually not a prayer of faith. It’s a “cover all the bases” kind of prayer. “Oh sure, God CAN heal me, but I doubt that he WILL.” (It’s always the WILL (the heart, the character, the name) of God, not the POWER of God, that we doubt, if we’re willing to admit it.) Really what we’re saying is “I doubt that he cares…after all, it’s just my BODY, it’s not my soul. Jesus only REALLY cares about my soul. It’s just the here and now, and it doesn’t really matter, ‘cause in the end, up in heaven, my body will be perfect.”

I hear comments like “we live in a fallen world.” It’s true. I live in a fallen world. But I’ve “been rescued out of the dominion of darkness and brought into the Kingdom of God’s son, whom he loves.” I do not have to live in the pattern of this world any longer, I can choose and learn to live in the Kingdom of Heaven. I can be transformed by the renewing of my mind, by thinking differently. Try using the fallen world phrase to explain why you “fell” into temptation. It doesn’t hold up. God has given us everything we need for life and godliness. We are without excuse. The thing is…the “everything we need” is “through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.” It requires that we know him.

I hear “God is trying to teach me something. He’s using this illness, affliction, set-back, whatever to teach me something.” Does this statement imply that God GAVE you this illness? That it is God’s WILL that you are sick? If it is God’s WILL, why fight it? Why take pills, why go to the doctor? Are we working against God’s will by fighting it? Think about it. I find it interesting that in the only place in the Universe where God’s WILL is ALWAYS done, there is no illness. We are meant to ask that God’s will be done ON EARTH as it is in heaven. What all does that include?? He graciously works all things (even bad things) together for good to those that love him, but that does not mean he sends the bad things. His will is good and pleasing and perfect, and, according to heaven, it is without sin, and without sickness. It is not his will that I be tempted…, but through temptation I CAN learn about the power of God to overcome. Does that mean he sends temptation?? Ask James about that one. God tempts no one.

I believe that sickness is just like sin. It comes to destroy us. When Jesus died he died for our freedom; …..from sin….and from sickness. When he rose again, he conquered sin and death. When he saved me, he SOZOed me; saved, rescued, delivered, HEALED, made to do well, prospered, all those good things. This does not mean that he took me out of this world. It does not mean that I will never ever be faced with sin again, that I will never ever be tempted to sin, or that I will never ever “fall”. It means he has equipped me to live above it, to live victorious, to live free. It means I don’t HAVE to live in sin. We are “in the world”, but we are not “of it”. Same with sickness. He has not removed me from every encounter I’ll ever have with germs or infection, injury or disease, but he has equipped me…through my knowledge of him who called me…to not “fall into it”, to not just accept it as inevitable. He has given me authority over things that I don’t even believe exist. He has seated me with Christ in the heavenly realms FAR above all rule and authority, principalities and powers. He has given the church the gift of healers, of spiritual discerners, of workers of miracles, of teachers. He has given us instructions on what to do if anyone is sick, (read James.) Psalm 103 says he forgave all our sins AND healed all our diseases. Jesus healed all who came to him. Was he just showing off to prove his identity, or did he actually care about peoples pain, about their bondage, did he actually care about the here and now?

I have more to say…but I’ll stop here. Thanks for reading. Please remember that these are MY thoughts. They may or may not be true. Jesus is the TRUTH, the Spirit is the Spirit of TRUTH. Ask them. I’m in process…I change, my thoughts have holes in them. Jesus never changes. He is the same today as he was 2000 years ago. Would you have stood in line in a large pressing crowd for the healing touch of Jesus?? Or would you have gone the self-help route?

13 Comments:

  • Hey, so good to click on your blog and find a new question to ponder! I check regularly....
    Now, a question for you...
    If we accept the aging process as a part of life, why can we not accept sickness as a part of life. In the scope of eternity what is the difference between 10 years on earth or 90?
    Just wondering....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:38 AM  

  • Karin: ...first thought is...every reference I've seen is to do with healing, not aging. Jesus healed the sick. He taught the desciples to heal the sick. The apostles healed the sick. If you can find a reference to stopping the aging process, let me know, cause then I'll have to add that to my thought processes.

    Thanks for writing back...I need the feed-back to find the holes.

    By Blogger toomanywhatifs, at 12:13 PM  

  • This is tough, Toomamy. It's something I have grappled with for many many years and have had no clear answers. My mother has been sick for ages, and no matter what course we have gone (church elders, praying as a family or on our own, or healthcare professionals) nothing and no one has 'healed' her. My Dad would spend every last penny he has if there were a cure to be bought, but there is nothing. God knows we wish this was as simple as aging, we tell him that in as many words a lot.

    The thing that troubles me most, as her daughter and knowing her so well, is when people call her faith into question. 'If she had faith as the grain of a mustard seed' and all that, she would be healed. Jesus would heal her if she Just Had The Faith to let him.

    Take it from me, her faith is not lacking. A conversation I had with her barely more than 2 weeks ago reassured me of that fact.

    She *is* sick because this is a fallen world. It's not supposed to be this way, and Yes, sin made it this way. Jesus only ever promised eternal life to those who believed on him. He never once promised a healthy mortal one, or even gave us reason to believe it would be so, not to my mind anyway.

    She takes a lot of meds, and those meds do cause a lot of people to wonder if she's just relying on the medical system to keep her alive. I'd like to think that Jesus is giving her team of doctors a wealth of knowledge on keeping her with us as long as they can. She must have work yet to do on this earth, if meds and doctors are aiding to that end, I'm all for it.

    I think it's pretty tough to say God's will is for everyone to be healed. It has never happened where every single one of his children is whole and healthy. Never, not once.

    By Blogger Annacond, at 12:48 PM  

  • When I talk of aging I am referring to the '"pains" that go along with the process. Are these any different
    than other sickness? eg atthritis? dementia?
    I guess what I am wondering is sickness part of aging, part of decaying,part of dying, part of life.
    I know God heals. I just don't think He chooses to heal every time I ask.
    My sister is bi polar, has been since she was young, now almost 70. Her faith, her husband's faith have been analyzed through and through.
    I think I'm with Kim on this one.
    I am coming to believe more and more that God wants us to want Him not what He gives whether that be healing, comfort of any sort, stuff.
    I am fully aware I don't have it pegged down in any way...... lots of questions....
    By the way, I typed all that while cuddling my sleeping grandbaby! What a treat she is!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:17 PM  

  • Okay, the wheels are turning! I would do better one on one, no, I process things so slowly, that wouldn't work!Can I add more thoughts?
    I don't hear a "no" so here goes.
    My Mum died of ALS at 76, my Dad of old age at 94. Was it lack of faith?
    Two of my fingers have more mobility than the others. One night when those 2 hurt so bad with arthritis I asked God for healing. The pain isn't as bad in those 2, They certainly move better.... ask sometime and I will show you....some of the others often hurt. Did I pray wrong? I ask myself those questions.....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:46 PM  

  • Kim: Did he really only promise eternal life in the sweet by and by? He promised nothing else??

    I know I opened a big can of worms on this one. I sat on it for a full two weeks before I posted it. My difficulty comes when experience does not line up with the Word. I get to choose then, which I'm going to believe. There are thousands of examples of people who are sick that could be listed...all of them really close to someone's heart, really sensitive, because it does matter, it does hurt.

    There are also thousands of Christians who are bound by sin, rooted in bitterness, "unable" to forgive, you name it. That doesn't change the truth that we are free from sin.

    I know you've wrestled with this, cried over this, face this every day. I also know that you know what a HUGE difference a revelation of the truth makes to our day to day lives. I'm seeking a revelation of truth on this subject, I think the quest for truth is worth the questions, the confusion, the fear of being misunderstood, of being contravertial, and worst of all the fear of hopes being dashed. To dare to hope is to make ourselves vulnerable. Vulnerable is scary. I love you Kim

    By Blogger toomanywhatifs, at 4:34 PM  

  • karin: there is no question that there is a time to die, that our days are numbered, whether 76, 94, 17, or two. As for the "praying wrong", I have some theories about that. Stay tuned to future blogs.

    I wish I could come at this from the side of always experiencing the TRUTH, but as with all things in the Kingdom of Heaven, I experience the TRUTH after I believe the TRUTH.

    By Blogger toomanywhatifs, at 5:37 PM  

  • Well I guess for me then it boils down to: while I admit that in the past I have screamed at God for my family having to watch her and Dad slog through this disease, been angry with him for the fact that my children have never known a healthy Nana, told him I think she got shortchanged in life, feared for my own health since this could have serious genetic repercussions for me AND my kids ... God is still in control. He could have stopped it early on, yes. He could have healed her on his own, yes. He could have given the church elders the gift of healing, yes. But He did not do any of the above.

    What he HAS done is given my siblings and me, as well as our spouses and children, the opportunity to see a marriage stay strong under the most hideous circumstances imaginable. I can think of dozens of marriages which crumbled under far less stress. God has given her grandchildren the chance to see their Nana be ministered to by church people and health care professionals in the assisted-living home in which she now must live. He has softened my own heart towards others afflicted with the disease. I seriously doubt that those things might have happened otherwise. After my visit with Mom a couple weeks ago, it was beautiful to hear her say that her reliance on God has never been stronger. She has no bitterness over this at all. It amazes me, it really does. I realize that could change in time, her disease does that, but I'm taking things a day at a time and not 'borrowing trouble', as my Nanny would say.

    I see it that God allows things like sickness to happen to anyone on this earth, whether they're his children or not. I cannot believe that a child born with Down's Syndrome is the result of his or his parents' lack of faith or the lack of a gift of healing in the church. Someone who is enduring chemo does not need to hear that Jesus could've healed them had their faith been enough. He doesn't heal everything/everyone. Why would he? Wouldn't he merely be at our beck-and-call then? We'd know which buttons to push or words to say and presto, we'd have our miraculous answer to prayer. Not much faith required for that, I shouldn't think, if it's a 'guarantee'.

    >>Jesus only ever promised eternal life to those who believed on him. He never once promised a healthy mortal one, or even gave us reason to believe it would be so, not to my mind anyway.<<
    >>Kim: Did he really only promise eternal life in the sweet by and by? He promised nothing else??<<

    What I meant by the above statement was that he only promised eternal life as opposed to a healthy body & mind in the *mortal* life. If he indeed promised a healthy and whole body on this earth, then I must be missing something vital. Too many believers, including those who are NOT bound up in unforgiveness or bitterness, are at the mercy of their respective afflictions. However, please do correct me if I'm wrong. I can't lay claim to knowing every nuance of the Scriptures.

    I might not understand why this happened, I might hate that my kids don't know the real Nana, I might fear the worst for myself in the future. But strangely enough, I have been more at peace over this whole thing in the past couple of months. God has ever so gently assured me he has it in good hands. I feel like a toddler in a swimming pool with her Daddy: He won't let me drown. Even if it feels like my grasp on him is slippery and my face got soaked from a huge splash, he has a tight hold on me and a sure footing. I'll be safe, as will Mom. Believe me, I feel it.

    I love you too, and I'm glad we can agree to disagree on things.

    By Blogger Annacond, at 6:33 PM  

  • Here's a thought that just popped into my head...

    Most (maybe all?) of the healings that we see in the New Testament are people who have just met Jesus for the first time. Their faith is new and shaky... but each of them still receive healing. But when Paul, a mature believer, asks for the thorn to be removed from his flesh, God simply says "My grace is enough for you". I don't know what Pauls thorn was but why was God's grace enough for Paul, but all the newbies received healing?

    Could it be that someone who already knows the rich sweetness of Gods grace has matured past needing proof of God's deity?

    Just a question to mix things up a bit... I would hesitate to build a theology on this one...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:01 PM  

  • Thanks, Kim, for sharing some of your journey. Bless you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:23 AM  

  • d: I don't think miracles and healings are about proof. I think they are about compassion...about character, about the heart of God.

    By Blogger toomanywhatifs, at 12:14 PM  

  • I don't think, either, that it's all about miracles and signs and single events. I think it's about walking in the day by day provision and finished work of God, about taking him at his word, at his heart, at his character, and simply living in it. Does that make any sense??

    By Blogger toomanywhatifs, at 1:37 PM  

  • >>I think it's about walking in the day by day provision and finished work of God, about taking him at his word, at his heart, at his character, and simply living in it. Does that make any sense??<<

    It does make sense, as long as you aren't expecting a payback of a miraculous healing or a great, perfect life (in the material sense I mean), for 'simply living in it'.

    >>I think they are about compassion...about character, about the heart of God.<<

    That's true to a point, but when you say that it's God's compassion that is the cause of healings, what do you really say to those who are NOT healed? Believe me, that person starts wondering what they didn't do right, what did they omit, to not earn God's favour. God must love his other children more, because they're healthy. I must not be a good Christian. Is there an unconfessed sin that's holding his blessings back? Ooops, I forgot to read my Bible and have a 30-minute prayer time every single day last week. It might sound silly, but those really are the thoughts. That then equates to jumping through hoops for God, just to ensure you get what you want from him. And that's a straight road back to legalism; I have no intention of ever going back.

    To me, taking God at his word is where it really IS at. I might not understand his reasoning, but that's okay. My children don't understand mine either, like why they can't have a chocolate bar 10 minutes before dinner - ARGH - they can smell dinner cooking for pete's sake! I (almost) understand how he can be so frustrated by us! But I still TRUST him, no matter what the scene looks like. My perceptions do not change the Truth. He said he'd be faithful, I trust him to keep his word.

    I haven't had a good discussion like this in ages. It's been a good challenge, Ingrid. Thanks.

    By Blogger Annacond, at 3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home