toomanywhatifs

Sunday, October 22, 2006

the title deed

Some of you know that I work in a vehicle registry office; you know, license plates, driver's license, etc. It's very interesting work. I like it alot, partly because it is challenging, and mostly because it is a 'people' oriented job. If people don't walk in the door, I have nothing to do. I don't do endless hours of paperwork, alone in a cubicle...I serve people.

One thing that people often don't understand, when they come into my office, is that it is also a job of 'legalities'. There are a number of things that I always need before I can help someone, and that is proof of identification, and proof of ownership. They don't always understand that what they are asking me to produce is a legal document, which must be supported by other legal documents. They think they can just 'say' they bought a truck from Joe Blow down the street, and I will happily just produce them a legal document that proves it. That is not the way it works. The custormer has to provide me with legal proof of ownership, before I can provide them with legal registration of ownership, (which then becomes another form of legal proof of ownership). Blah, blah, blah, who cares...right?

Well, something struck me about this the other day, and that is that a written piece of paper, with a couple of signatures and some pertinent information on it, is enough for me to believe with absolute certainty that this vehicle actually exists. I never ever need to physically go outside and look to see if the vehicle actually exists. I never need to phone around and ask people if Joe Blow actually bought this car. I need no physical evidence whatsoever, beyond the written word. Interesting, don't you think? If I were to doubt the piece of paper, and the integrity of the one who signed it, I may ask to see the proof. I would ask to see the car. Now that person may say, "I cannot show it to you at this time, it is currently parked at home." I would have further fuel for my suspicions, that this vehicle does not, in reality, exist. But then, I would have overstepped my bounds. It is my job to trust the piece of paper, and also, the integrity of the one who signed it.

Do you see where I am going with this?? There is a phrase going around in Christian circles that says, "God said it, I believe it, that settles it." A wise man I know edits it down to say this, "God said it, that settles it." Whatif...I think of the promises, the principals, and the character of God as my 'title document." The Bible is my title document. God wrote it, and signed it in the blood of his Son, Jesus. I have no right to doubt either the document, or the intergrity of the one who signed it, based on what I see, or what I do not see. God said it, that settles it.

Too often we go through life saying that "I know God says he loves me...but, I just don't feel it," "I know He says it is not Him who condemns, that there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,...but I just feel so guilty" "I know he said he forgives all my sins..., but, He doesn't know what I did last night, He won't forgive me for that...", " I know he said he heals all my diseases..., but, I just don't see it", "I know He said that 'by His stripes we are healed'..., but, I just don't buy it," " I know I have the title deed, that you signed with your own blood...,but, I'm gonna go with what I see and what I feel." "I know you said it...,but, that doesn't settle it." Oh me of little faith...

Please God let me walk by faith and not by sight. Please God, don't let me overstep my bounds. Please God don't let me doubt your integrity, your character, your heart. Please God give me faith.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home